Social Media Management – A Task for One Person?
Social media management is a hot topic amongst marketing managers and in general organisations typically have specialised departments dealing with specific tasks and concerns.
Human Resources handle people issues, the IT department handles system concerns, and Legal handles matters of the law. Social media concerns and tools usually fall under the jurisdiction of the Marketing department because they involve promotions and press releases.
Announcements and responses that come from a single source tend to be more streamlined and consistent to the core vision of the company. But are companies that rely on a single person or department missing out on the full potential of social media?
Having a single person or department dedicated solely to social media functions may have its advantages, but a bigger group of people can certainly produce a more impressive output. You can either have a single person or group do 100% of the social media tasks, or have the majority of your employees spend 5% of their time attending to these tasks. In theory, having dozens or even hundreds of employees representing the company in social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook will result to a wider audience reach.
Here are some of the advantages of having multiple social media outlets:
1. More people create more noise.
Having multiple employees sending out positive Tweets or writing blogs about the company says a lot about employee satisfaction and improves the branding of the company. The message also reaches a wider audience.
2. Employees will keep up with technology and will be adept on using social media tools.
It is essential to train the employees on the proper usage of social media tools for this system to work. They need to know how to properly represent the company, and how to increase the number of followers or subscribers. This training will not only be beneficial for work but is also applicable to personal endeavors.
3. Different employees have different strengths and interests.
They will produce blogs, Tweets, or Facebook updates that relate to them personally but are relevant to the nature of your business. Your company will benefit from this because of the diversity of content that will be available online. You will reach a wider and more diverse market. Interest in your products or services will also increase. Employees can also experiment with these tools and can potentially come up with an innovative approach to promotions.
4. The feedback system will also improve when you have a large number of people checking the web vigilantly.
It is possible to report important updates and news flashes that can affect operations in the soonest possible time. You can also detect customer complaints easily and address them immediately. Generally, about 60 to 80 percent of customer complaints made via social media channels are ignored because of lack of manpower.
This results to customer dissatisfaction and a missed opportunity for improvement.
5. Employees will be empowered. Social media exposure is a huge responsibility. Your employees will feel valued and trusted.
In order for a business model like this to work, it is essential to invest in social media training and corporate awareness. The employees need to be adept with how to utilise the tools to further the interest of the business.
They need to understand that social media will be an essential part of their daily tasks. They also need to realise that they will become the front liners of the business. They will be representing the company and any post that they make will be a reflection of the company’s mission and vision.
Incoming search terms:
- crowd shouting
- cheering people
- A waving crowd
- big crowd cheering
- crowd of people cheering
- people cheering
- social media management tasks
- Improved Search Engine Rankings Using Social MediaOne of the best ways to improve website traffic is...
- How Do Universities Use Social Media?Social media is often criticised as being a source of...
- Social Syncing – Connecting Your Social Media Efforts on PinterestUnless you have been living in a bubble for the...
- Improved Revenue From Existing Customers Using Social Media ToolsIt costs more to attract new customers than to retain...
- How to Use Social Media Marketing to Increase Customer LoyaltyMany businesses make the mistake of believing social media are...